Thursday 29 December 2016

TO HINDUSTAN TIMES: I Refuse to "Be Chetan Bhagat"





This is going to be blunt. 

It might even hurt you. 

But I am going to put my question anyway. 

However, before that, I'll give you a context: 

Last night I came across this e- paper article penned by a certain Suveen Sinha, the content of which has something to do with how readers of romantic fiction subconsciously envision the writer as the narrative's protagonist. Well, it might hold true for the audience you meant to target, the likes of which are obsessed with reading romance that occurs on social media or college campuses, or in a typical Bollywood- ish manner. But not for me, a person for whom romantic fiction has always meant Pride and Prejudice, Wuthering Heights, The Time Traveller's Wife, or The Great Gatsby among scores of other volumes that give readers the freedom of envisioning characters and scenarios that goes way beyond picturing an IIT- or IIM- graduate, or a business analyst posing before the camera; or for that sake, the "Punjabi hunk"- like appearance you made sound so mandatory. 

Anyway, I kept reading on, ignoring the subtle fallacy of sentences like these: 
"Their positioning, ever so subtle, is that they express the reader’s emotions in the reader’s language."
I carried on, until I came across this blasphemy you so nonchalantly seemed to have fed into your computer screen.
                    "HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN BESTSELLER"
                         The short answer is, be Chetan Bhagat.
 And this is where my question comes in: Why?

Have the minds of our promisingly intellectual generation become so punitive that their hopes of penning down a profound narrative telling the frolics of a romance free of cliches shall be dictated by someone who has given literature nothing but sheer mediocrity?

Pray, tell me why you didn't bother to elucidate the fact that why a promising penman will fail to hit your ever- rocketing sales unless he transforms from a masterful story- teller into a blunt "writer" whose tales and narratives are fit solely for that massive host of young lads and ladies who are in desperate need of a caption to accompany their social media photographs.

You will need to listen to the likes of me, good sires, for you can not afford to answer potential talents by quoting something so blasphemous to the idea of good literature, something which at this hour our country is in dire need of.

And owing to these arguments, I refuse to be Mr. Bhagat, who, of course is as honourable a gentleman as a certain Brutus was to Mark Antony as the latter mourned the Caesar's demise. I, for one, have mourned the assassination of Indian literature for long, stabbed more than twenty- three times by hands that garner undeserved praise while greater story- tellers, playwrights, novelists and poets are shunned into obscurity.

As for those who choose to walk on unbeaten path, I clamour to you to deny being a mere writer like the very honourable Mr. Bhagat, or other honourable men like Mr. Durjoy Dutta and Mr. Ravinder Singh. I urge you to follow something I once read somewhere, which I herein rephrase for you:

"Stop being just a writer. Be like the playwright. He isn't spelled p-l-a-y-w-r-i-t-e, and there's a reason behind it. The playwright goes with the likes of the cartwright, he who makes carts; the shipwright, he who builds ships. So, go on and be like the playwright. Make some stories. Build some tales."


No comments:

Post a Comment