Wednesday 7 December 2016

RECOLLECTIONS: WHEN "HERMIONE GRANGER" MOVED FROM MAGIC TO FEMINISM

 
“If not me, who? If not now, when?”

The words from Emma Watson’s speech on gender equality at the United Nations in September 2014 echo in my mind as I write this. And I am compelled to think how this Harry Potter girl came to become an inadvertent feminist, as she would like to put it, voicing the emotions of women across the globe. Meanwhile, I look at the film industry of my own country, and I am happy as I come across instances of our actresses standing up for women’s rights. But content, I am not. Forgive me if I am expecting too much, but being an iconic symbol among a vast population, our stellar actresses need to be more outspoken and brave in voicing the ordeal of women in this nation. Starring in women- centric films, although being a commendable undertaking, is simply not enough to represent an entire population of suppressed women. That however is my own personal opinion, though.

And this is precisely why Emma, or as we have so often loved to call her, Hermione Granger will always have a special place in my heart, which like her, remains inadvertently feminist. At this point I would ask you to refrain from being critically judgmental of my declaration, for the feeling of feminism grows within me not because of a pretty British actress whose films were a beautiful part of my childhood, but because of a similarity of thought regarding a problem the whole world is facing: gender inequality.
 
Allow me to explain. During her speech, Ms. Watson, although representing the voice of the feminine population as the UN goodwill ambassador for women, outshone especially due to her initiative for sending out a formal invitation to men to join the discourse around gender equality. Unlike many self- proclaimed feminists, who have inculcated a male- bashing approach to establish feminism, Ms. Watson identified with the grievances of men owing to gender gap.

In her own words: 
“We don’t often talk about men being imprisoned by gender stereotypes, but I can see that they are, and that when they are free, things will change for women as a natural consequence. If men don’t have to be aggressive in order to be accepted, women won’t feel compelled to be submissive. If men don’t have to control, women won’t have to be controlled.”

And this indeed is a great approach to involve young men in the global problem of gender gap, of altering their views regarding feminism, a word that has been bastardized over the years by male- bashing “feminists”, and men’s rights activists.

Moreover, Ms. Watson stated, 
Both men and women should feel free to be sensitive. Both men and women should feel free to be strong.”


This in itself is a truth that needs to settle down in all societies with firm roots. But, more than that, it needs to be accepted by each one of us in its truest form. Coming up as an outspoken personality on these similar views before a huge population might look like a daunting aspect of feminism. Even Emma was faced with vile critics who threatened to make public her nude photographs following her speech at the UN. But, she had already made her stand clear to all: “If not me, who? If not now, when?”

No comments:

Post a Comment