Monday 12 December 2016

Greetings, Bollywood! DID YOU WATCH THE LATEST AIB VIDEO?



Greetings, Bollywood! How have you been, you flashy old man? Oh, by the way, did you happen to watch the latest video by AIB? Wait, why are you turning your back on me now? Not so friendly now, are we, eh? Pray, tell me what bothers you, old friend? Why haven't your brilliant stars, your genius film makers come up on the Internet yet to bash AIB who has so blatantly stepped up to hit you square on the face?

Oh, you won't talk now, will you? But, allow me to be very frank to you and to all those who follow you oh so passionately: old friend, you are the powerhouse of inspiration. After all, you have inspired a generation of stalkers, eve teasers, rapists and misogynistic idiots in this great country! Congratulations for that! And fortunately for you, you have snoothly gotten away with it... Always. And this is why when AIB released their hilarious video, I rejoiced! In fact, I was ecstatic!

It was high time that someone stepped forth and showed you a mirror. So that you could see for yourself, how desperate your "stars" appear when they put on display their methods of wooing a woman. I remember instances from your films in which stalkers, who obviously turn out to be the heroes, put on display their exceptional techniques of wooing, and not to forget, winning a woman's heart. I remember asking myself how could any girl fall for a man who has been stalking her, molesting her in public, and reducing the wide physical proximity that exists between them without the lady's consent? First, I question the intellect of those fine film makers who come up with such misleading concepts that suggest to an entire nation that a woman's "no" can actually be interpreted as "yes". And when I see plain indifference writ on their demeanour, I direct my queries to the "stars" who so eagerly give in to the temptation of working in films which contain numberless  instances that encourage objectification of the fairer sex, justify stalking, molesting, and eve teasing and are downright misogynistic. I am compelled to wonder why couldn't a majority of our filmmakers and actors be more sensitive towards such absurd ideas that make women look like ornaments to be won and owned.

Oh Bollywood, I admit that you have given your audience stories that have inspired them positively too; that have given them the right message for the building of a better society, but what gets to me is the repetitive narration of undignified misogynistic approaches that come up every now and then. What bothers me is that despite the patriarchy that prevails in the country, many of your filmmakers and stars haven't become mature enough to eradicate such narratives completely. Why don't your actors intervene to transform an absurd concept and character profile into something that would move the audience towards a better level of entertainment?

Anyways, I know not whether the video will succeed in establishing a strong message within the roots of the film industry. But I fear something : I'm afraid that this mirror that the video has shown to jolly old Bollywood might perhaps disappear out of trend as soon as yet another sexist song or film makes its way into this country's entertainment zone.
For now, let us all sit back and have another look at the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment