Wednesday 4 January 2017

Unwilling to Be Just Another Man With an Opinion, I Half- heartedly Pen Down My Anger, Pointing Out the Enemy For You




I'll be honest, and confess before you that I've been reluctant to write about this.

That the events in Bengaluru were a sad state of affairs is something a majority have agreed on. But, with a difference in perspective. The much required display of solidarity and unity against something that is plaguing an entire nation is nowhere in sight yet. And the more I listen to people, the more I am depressed. In fact, listening to my own thoughts makes me melancholic, for I realize that they lack a certain vitality which is needed to inspire change.You see, I'm a plain man, and I have my insecurities towards the women I love, which unfortunately stand against my feminist virtues. That, however is a different story; one which I shall leave for another time.

For now, there is something that angers me. Lately, after listening, reading and skimming through opinions of a wide range of people across the nation, I find myself being full of wrath at how the actual issue is being pushed down into invisibility with the opinions each one of us has to give. The outrage of people, men and women alike, who have always stood for women's rights is understood and justified, and I wish a majority of concerned folks falls in line with them, so that they feel confident enough to abandon armchair activism and engage in a form of revolution that works with sweat and blood. But, what reveals the much disheartening root of evil is this: politicians blaming women, politicians blaming politicians, journalists blaming journalists, and everyone blaming the police, the politicians and the journalists. To add to these woes, there is another brigade- one that justifies molestation, laying the blame of all the misogyny upon something called "western mindset." In this brigade are men who opine about the feminine population of the entire country with hatred that is brewed within them either after a failed love interest or following an event when they were asked to vacate a seat reserved for women, perhaps. And these men come together on various platforms to form an unruly herd that voices out its own blame- game.They don't target politicians, or policemen, or journalists. In fact, they don't even shame the culprits once the sorry scoundrels are caught. Their blame lies just upon that one gender: that of the female. And they are the people we need to hunt and shut down. They are the ones who won't allow the population of this nation to unify against the evil that is misogyny.

And finding them is not difficult at all. They are everywhere. They are the ones you catch ogling at you, or your sister, or your friend, or your lady love, and yet ignore their shameful act. They are the ones who hurl lewd remarks at you, or your sister, or your friend, or your lady love, while all you do is either blame yourself or your sister, or your friend, or your sweetheart for wearing those "revealing outfits." Those perverted minds are the ones to be blamed. NOT THE WOMAN WHO IS ON THE RECEIVING END!

And once you know the culprits, all you need to do is get up from that smug chair of yours, seek the balance within yourself to become a formidable weapon, and then get out in the streets where our women are subjected to the lust of fell beasts who have dared to call themselves "men."

Unify. Gather your strength. Fume with fury, and attack misogyny right at the mouth that spits forth its vile name.

No comments:

Post a Comment