Tuesday 31 January 2017

Diego Maradona Recollects His Time As A Drug- Addict


Looking back on his long- term struggles with drugs during his time at Barcelona, Diego Maradona now wishes he had never taken them.

Claiming it to be the worst decision he has ever made, the Argentine football legend has now opened up on his problems with drug addiction, a habit he took up at Barcelona in his early 20s; something that would continue to haunt him until well after he had hung his boots.

It was only in 2004 that Maradona overcame his addiction, getting the better of it with what he claims to be was God's helping hand to him.

Speaking with Italian television network Canale 5, Maradona recalled, "I was 24 when I started taking drugs. I was at Barcelona. It was the biggest mistake I've ever made in my life."

Also recollecting the time when he was in coma, Maradona went on to say, "My daughter asked me to live for her while I was in a coma. I thank God because he listened to her and woke me up.”

On being asked if it was the money, women or drugs that blighted an otherwise wonderful (although at times controversial) career, Maradona put forward an outright honest answer:

“Drugs were the biggest problem – drugs kill," he said.

“I'm very fortunate to be here speaking to you. If I had continued I would have died. No doubt.

And at last, in a very optimistic note, he claimed, "I haven't taken drugs in 13 years now and I feel great."

No comments:

Post a Comment